This article outlines the steps that all prospective students must follow in order to successfully enter into the UK to begin their studies.

Student Visitor Visa: Up to 6 months

There are two categories of Student Visitors:
  • Adult Student Visitor: for adults ages 18 and older who want to study for up to 6 months
  • Child Student Visitor: for children under 18 who want to study in the UK for up to 6 months

If you have a student visitor visa, you will not be able to switch and apply for a General Student Visa while you are in the United Kingdom as a student visitor. If you want to apply for a General Student Visa, you must apply from the country you live in.

Not sure if you need a visa to study in the UK?

View a list of nationalities that need a visa to enter the UK

Please note that this information is intended as a guide only. As visa rules and regulations are often subject to change, Language International cannot be held responsible for any mistakes or inaccuracies. We would advise you to visit the UK Border Agency website or local visa application post for the most up-to-date information.

Related articles

Browse all advice articles